1 litre / 1¾ pints milk
120 gm / 4¼ oz short grain or Arborio rice
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon clear rosewater syrup
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Place milk and rice in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, while you bring the milk to a simmer.
2. Lower the heat just before the milk comes to the boil and cook gently, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until each grain of rice is tender but still shapely.
3. Add sugar, vanilla and rosewater syrup, and stir well until sugar dissolves.
4. Mix cornflour to a paste with an extra tablespoon of milk.
5. Add cornflour paste to the rice, raise the heat slightly, and stir well until the mixture thickens to a creamy texture.
6. Pour into 4 shallow individual bowls.
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
8. Serve warm or cold.
If you prefer a baked rice pudding with a crusty top, pour the cooked rice into a buttered ovenproof dish, dot with a little butter and bake at 180ºC / 350ºF for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.