1 Homemade 9 inch pie crust or use pre-packaged
4 Tablespoons butter, melted9
3 eggs, room temperature, beaten
2 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
Sprinkle of nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make pie crust or arrange pre-packaged crust into a 9 inch pie plate.
1. In a large bowl combine melted butter,eggs,flour,sugar,coconut, milk and vanilla. Whisk together until thoroughly blended. Making sure sugar is dissolved and not laying on the bottom of the bowl.
2. Pour the mixture into the pie crust sprinkle with a little nutmeg if desired and bake at 350 degrees for 45 -60 minutes. Cover crust with strips of foil for the first 25 minutes of baking , then remove.
Notes from Bunny’s Warm Oven
When mixing the custard : Keeping all ingredients at room temperature will keep the melted butter from solidifying in the custard when cold milk hits it.
The pie baked in my oven on a cookie sheet for the full 60 minutes. I checked at 45 minutes, the custard had puffed up on the sides of the pie, but not in the center. I continued baking until the center of the custard was puffed up as well. Then I removed the pie from the oven.
Next time I will use 1 Deep Dish instead of 2 regular and I will sprinkle some coconut on top as well.
This is definately one I am trying!
I will post how it goes
Farmer Lill’s FAMOUS PUMPKIN PIE
Preparing Fresh Pumpkin:
– One large Pie Pumpkin will make one 9″ Pumpkin Pie.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees
– Wash Pie Pumpkin, cut in half, and scoop out seeds and strings.
– Place halves face down in a large baking dish, and add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the dish
– Bake on centre rack of oven uncovered for 1 hour, or until flesh is soft and skin starts to separate from the flesh of the pumpkin
– Remove pumpkin from baking dish. Let pumpkin cool entirely.
– Scoop out flesh from the shell and place in a large mixing bowl.
– Mash with a potato masher, and to create a smooth texture use a Stick Hand Mixer to remove any lumps.
– Makes 3 – 4 cups of Pure Pumpkin Puree
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9″ pie plate with a single, unbaked crust, home made or store bought, it doesn’t matter.
In a mixing bowl combine:
3 cups of prepared Pumpkin Puree
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon each – nutmeg & ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup heavy cream (35%)
Pour into unbaked pie shell. Place on centre rack of preheated oven. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until centre is firm-soft but not jiggly. Let cool completely before serving. Refrigerate uneaten pie for up to 5 days.