In 1930 this fruit cake cost one dollar to make. (How times have changed!!)
This is a recipe passed down through the years. I have heard many people say the hate fruit cake… one they taste this one, they quickly change their mind! There will be no re-gifting of this fruit cake… and if they don’t realize what they had and re-gift it anyways….thank your lucky stars…. this is excellent aged. ( P.S. the rum also preserves the cake)
1 lb Raisins – Sultana
2 cups Mixed fruit – Chopped
1/2 lb. Cherries – Candied (halved)
1/2 cup Walnuts – Chopped Coarsely or Almonds
2 cups Sifted Flour – all-purpose
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 cup Butter – Soften
1 cup Sugar
3 Large eggs
1/4 cup Rum or Fruit Juice
1 tsp. Rum extract
Optional: 4 oz. Pineapple chunks – glazed Pkg and / or substitute walnut for 1/2 pound of cherries – Candied (halved)
1. Pre-Heat oven and a large pan of water (on bottom shelf) to 300 degrees F
2. Combine Fruit and nuts then coat with 1 Cup of the flour.
3. In a separate bowl cream butter and add sugar gradually. Beat until very light and fluffy. Add well beaten eggs.
4. Sift remaining flour with baking powder and salt add to creamed mixture.
5. Blend well and add the rum/ juice and extract. Add Floured fruit and nuts mixture, mix well.
6. Bake in a spring form pan or angel food pan, lined with 4 layers of well greased brown paper.
7. Place in oven on shelf above the hot water, bake for 2 hours.
8. When cooled you can wrap with cheese cloth soaked in rum, then wrap in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze.—